Submitted by: Tin with Asha
What you need:
- Box (for the base of the bed)
- For the “Reels” of the movie bed: 2 small and 1 large empty ribbon spools (optional for 3-D effect)
- Cardboard (about one empty cereal box’s worth)
- 2 sheets of orange construction paper
- Math compass and pencil (for drawing circles; optional)
- Gold paint and paintbrush
- Gold ribbon
- Red marker
- White fabric
- Red fabric
- Tiny amount of stuffing for pillows
- Needle and thread (or sewing machine)
What you do:
1. Make the “reels” (circles at ends of bed) of the bed: You can make the “reels” of the bed either 3-dimensional (using empty ribbon spools) or flat (using only cardboard).
To make 3-D reels: Cut four small circles and two large circles out of cardboard. Attach a cardboard circle to each side of the empty ribbon spools so that you have one large reel and two smaller reels. By attaching cardboard to the spools, you can make them whatever size you want for your bed.
To make flat reels: Cut two small circles and one large circle out of cardboard.
2. Decorate the reels: Cut out two large and four small circles of orange construction paper. They should be the same size as your cardboard circles were. Use gold paint to decorate the orange circles to look like movie reels. Draw some faint circles in between the gold paint to mimic lines in the movie reel.
3. Glue the decorated circles to both sides of the “reels.”
4. Glue or tape the “reels” to the bed.
5. Glue white fabric and red fabric to the bed base. Fold the red fabric down at one end to make it look like the red blanket is folded back.
6. Draw lines on the gold ribbon using ruler and red marker. Cut the ribbon in half.
7. Roll the ribbon around the reels. Half goes from the right front reel to the back reel. The other half goes from the left front reel to the back reel.
8. Make the front of the pillows from gold ribbon. Decorate the front with a red star using the marker. Use red fabric to make the back of the pillow, sew the pillow and stuff it.