Need Horse Advice? Ask the Experts!

Home Forums Pets – Archives Need Horse Advice? Ask the Experts!

This topic contains 234 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  KASSUZY 10 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Stealthstorm

Hay y’all!! This is Stealthstorm, and my best friend Flicka! If you need any horse advice, just click here! We will get to you as soon as possible! Or, you can just chat about horses! Have fun, horse lovers! ~Flicka and Stealthy~

Stealthstorm

Hi Chillylily! I also ride English, dressage! Well, I have also had many lessons! One thing that helps me a lot is use yours legs more than directing with the reins. The horse can get irritated with the constant tugging on the mouth, so try to use your legs as much as possible. :) Also, always keep your eyes up and look where you are going! If you look down at the horse, it’s distracting. A horse knows where your eyes are, so after awhile a really good rider will just be able to look in a direction and the horse will know. I know sometimes I still struggle with keeping my eyes up! My instructor told me, if you look down, the horse may also go down. When I rode about two years ago, I looked down the whole time and the horse rolled with me! So that was my lesson. :) I hope this was helpful, even if you have heard it many times! ~The Horse Experts

Chillylily, Check out youtube videos on horse riding it really helped me.

chillylily

I just had my third riding lesson today, but it wasn’t as much fun as my second lesson for two reasons. 1. It was sooo hot out. 2. I nearly got thrown off(the horse decided to canter instead of walk. Not fun). I have to ride English. After my first lesson, my legs hurt for two days because the whole time I was on the horse for my lesson, my instructor kept on making me stand in the saddle… very painful, but today I was able to stand in the saddle very easily. But I would love some advice on how to ride better(please tell me how).

Chillylily, Is your riding instructor having you do the posting trot or rising trot??? If so i was the same way with sore legs. It means you are building muscle in your legs. Do you ride hunter?, Dressage?, country English Pleasure??? Would you Like to add me on webkinz?? If so tell me your username and I will friend you. ~Dapplegreyhorse

Stealthstorm

Hey Chilly! Ok, so I also ride English! One thing I can say is, try to use less contact on the bit and more with your legs. The horse is sensitive in its mouth, so it can cause irritation and sore mouths for the horse. But you can direct your horse just as well with your legs without irritating them! Also, keep your head up! My instructor has told me, if you keep looking down, you go down with the horse! So try and keep your head up! ~I love my horse!

Stealthstorm

Real horses. :) ~The Horse Freaks

yellowam

I have a horse named lightning he is a Friesian but lately he has been rearing and rejecting jumps please help

Stealthstorm

Yellow, cute name! Hmm, how old is he? I know some horses reject jumps because they are in pain. Even if you can’t see it, it may be on the inside. I’d check him for any signs of pain on the outside. If you can find something, great! That may be part of the problem. If not, I’d still be safe by checking with a local vet. If there is no signs of pain, the jump may be to high. Is he new to jumping? Try a really low jump and see if he refuses. Please answer this question…has he been jumping really good before? If so, I personally think it is a sign of pain. ~Stealthy

chillylily

r u talking about webkinz horses or REAL horses?

Real horses or webkinz??? I assume you are talking about real horses. Do you have any real horses?? Do you ride English or Western??? Just curious. ~Dapplegreyhorse

forest85

and good job on the clarinet! my lil sis is trying out for regional orchestra on the cello. Forest85

Stealthstorm

That’s great Forest! :D

Stealthstorm

Hey y’all! OMG I miss all of yall! How was Christmas for ya? Are any of you still riding? I really want to hear from my horse friends!!!! ~Horse Fanatic

The forum ‘Pets – Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Comments are closed.