Polished Portfolio School of Design!

Home Forums Tips and Tricks – Archives Polished Portfolio School of Design!

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  caribousmiles 11 years ago.

• Author

Welcome to the Polished Portfolio School of Interior Design! If you want to improve your designing skills, practice before applying for a job, or just can’t get enough design work, you’ve come to the right place! Every few days, I will post a lesson and an exercise. Complete the exercise, and I’ll grade it. But before you can start designing, you need to “enroll.” Just answer the following in a post- 1. Why do you want to design? 2. Have you designed professionally before? 3. Do you manage an outside forum? 4. How long do you wish to be enrolled? I will look over the applications. I will probably say yes, and allow you to enroll, but I might wish to place you in a class with others of your skill level. If I get enough people, I will provide several exercises for each lesson, one for each level. Have fun learning here at the P.P.S.I.D!

Okay, Lesson number 1! Don’t use a lot of items! This is my number one trick. I try not to put more than nine items (one cart full) in each design. More than that, and it’s hard to coordinate everything perfectly. Also, unless you have a large room, it gets “busy” looking. If you have nine items or less, you also don’t need to provide a layout, if you don’t want to. Let me note, though, that you’ll always have things to say like “put mirror over table for a vanity.” If you have lots of ideas for decorations, list them separately. Don’t clutter up a gorgeous room!

Okay, before my lesson and exercise, I’m going to give grading criteria. Yes, your designs will be graded! I am giving grades on a scale of 0 to 4+. A 4+ is the highest score you can get. It means you achieved all the requirements of the exercise and made an excellent design with no corrections. A 4 means that you completed all of the requirements, with only a few corrections. A 3 means you met all the requirements, and had more than three corrections. A 2 means that you did not meet all of the requirements and I had several corrections. A 1 means that I didn’t like the design and you missed a lot of requirements. A 0 means that you did not meet any requirements and I disliked the design. Pretty much, the only way to get a 0 is if you do a different room than I asked and did a bad job with it. I will be counting up all of the students’ scores and keeping them! If you miss a lesson, you will get a grade of “/” meaning that you were not present. They count as a 2. After two missed lessons I will count every missed lesson as a zero. So, if you want to leave the school, tell me first!

1.I want to design because it is so much fun and i love creating rooms for myself and others. 2.I’m not sure what you mean by “professionally” but, I have a design forum (Shining Stars Design Palace). 3. Yes, i do (coming here just to see if there is any way can improve my designs). 4. I’m not sure, but if i ever decide i don’t have the time to take classes anymore, i will tell you. Also, add me? I’m Cclub13 on webkinz.

Okay, you’re my first student! I’m going to divide the exercises right now, with class “A” and “B.” Class “A” is for professionals only, and class “B” is for amateurs only. If class “B” students go to the school for a while and really improve their skills, I will put them in class A. By “professionally” I mean designing rooms for a forum. By “manage” I mean having started their own forum or taken over a forum without contest. I only count forums that have at least a page of orders and answers. I’ll add you right away, by the way! Stay tuned for my first lesson!

abislu1

Can I be a teacher for outfits? I <3 making outfits!

I’m sorry, abislu1, but I am not currently hiring and I am not offering courses in clothing design either. If I decide to start a branch dedicated to clothing, you will be a top choice for instructor. You are welcome to enroll as a room designer, though!

forest85

clever name caribou. will you add me @forest85. sorry but I cant join. may be fun to do over the summer though

I will probably get most new students during summer, so don’t worry about it. Just a little note for everybody thinking about enrolling, I will not be here for the first few weeks of June, and, closer to the time, I will not accept any new students. I will be looking for a substitute teacher for the time being, but PLEASE no applications before May 15th.

The forum ‘Tips and Tricks – Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Comments are closed.