What a wonderfully seasonal submission by ban with Coconut! We’re told that Ginger’s Crocheted Winter Hat was originally designed for a Gingerbread Puppy, but should fit most other dogs or pets with floppy ears.
What you need:
- Worsted weight yarn in red and white
- A 5.5 mm or I sized crochet hook
- A dinner fork
What you do:
Abbreviations used: Rnd = Round, Sc = Single crochet, Hdc = Half double crochet, Ch = Chain. Number at the end represents the number of stitches in that round.
- Rnd 1: Sc 6 in a magic ring (6)
- Rnd 2: Hdc in each stitch around (6)
- Rnd 3: *Hdc 1, hdc 2 in next stitch * Repeat around (9)
- Rnd 4: *Hdc 2, hdc 2 in next stitch * Repeat around (12)
- Rnd 5: *Hdc 3, hdc 2 in next stitch * Repeat around (15)
- Rnd 6: *Hdc 2, hdc 2 in next stitch * Repeat around (20)
- Rnd 7: *Hdc 2, hdc 2 in next stitch * Repeat 6x, hdc 2 (26)
- Rnd 8: *Hdc 5, hdc 2 in next stitch * Repeat 4x, hdc 2 (30)
- Rnd 9: *Hdc 5, Ch 6, skip the next 5 stitches, hdc 10, ch 6, skip the next 5 stitches, hdc 5. (Note: if you are skipping ear holes, hdc around)
- Rnd 10: Switch to white yarn. Hdc 5, hdc 5 in the Ch space, hdc 10, hdc 5 in the ch space, hdc 5.
- Rnd 11: Hdc around. Fasten off.
- Weave in ends.
- Attach Pom-Pom (see instructions below)
To make the Pom Pom:
Cut a piece of white string about 1 foot long. Place in the tines of a dinner fork, and hold in place with your thumb. Wrap another piece of white yarn (anywhere from 1 – 4 yards long, depending on how dense you want your pom pom) around and around the tines, until it is a little bundle in the middle of the fork. Using the short piece of sting, tie a half knot around the bundle. Gently pull it off the fork. Tighten and double the knot. Use a pair of scissors to cut the loops and create your pom pom. Trim except for the two ends of the yarn used to tie it together. Use your hook to pull these ends through the very top of the hat about a 1/4 inch apart from each other. Double knot them and trim. Your new hat is done! Wrap it up and give it to your favorite pet!