Official Statement on the Future of Webkinz Plush Toys

As many of you are aware, GANZ has not announced any new Webkinz plush pets in the past few months. The last new plush was the beautifully crafted Narwhal. We can now officially state that there will be no new Webkinz plush in 2019 and that the Narwhal will be the final plush toy of the “first generation” of Webkinz plush.

Our reasons for making this decision are three-fold:

1. For any toy to be produced at an appropriate price, a minimum number need to be produced. Our retail orders for our new styles, even great ones like the Narwhal, had fallen below this minimum.
  2. Our attempts to move plush sales online through the eStore and Amazon did not meet our goals.
  3. After 14 years and over 500 unique pets, this generation of the toy line had run its course.

The reality is that at times every toy brand needs to take a break, evolve and reinvent. Many of the biggest toy brands in the world – My Little Pony, Transformers, Strawberry Shortcake – have had times where there were no toys on retail shelves.

Will this impact Webkinz.com? Not at all. One of the big developments in the past few years is the acceptance of online purchasing. When we launched Ganz eStore in 2008, many players didn’t understand the idea of buying “purely” virtual pets. Now we’re all used to buying virtual items and we’re happy to say eStore use has been going up! Many of our new eStore virtual pets have been well received and are among our best looking pets ever! As we’ve said elsewhere, GANZ is committed to Webkinz.com and with our desktop version coming soon, the future of the game is strong.

Will Webkinz plush be back? Definitely. GANZ was born as a plush toy company and lovable plush will always be near to our hearts. We have had many discussions about future products and how best to bring those products to market. We can’t say anything more about this at this time, but we do hope to have some more announcements later in the year.

In the meantime, you can still find Webkinz plush at Ganz eStore, and through other online retailers. All available plush are “while quantities last,” so if there is a specific pet you’d like, you will want to order it soon.

We’ve all had great experiences with our Webkinz plush and have those favorites that we feel closest to. While we may be taking a break from making new styles, our incredible range of amazing plush toys will forever be a core part of Webkinz World.

GANZ

246 Responses to Official Statement on the Future of Webkinz Plush Toys

1. StormyKitty says:

Webkinz are great, and I understand your reasoning. I hope you start selling them again!

2. Karahjoy6 says:

I hope someday the garnet Rover will have a plush! It’s so adorable!!

3. DiamondBreeze says:

well i hope that when you launch “gen 2″ it gets webkinz popular again! i would love to see them being sold everywhere like they used to

4. polo says:

I wish you could make a few more narwhals cause I was never able to get one and they are my favorite sea creature!!!!!

5. tmuller says:

I am an Elementary Classroom Teacher and for more than 10 years I have adopted an new plush pet every year for my students. They each take turns bringing our classroom adopted pet home for sleepovers. They log in and play, they write in our little friend’s journal about all of his/her adventures on the long awaited sleep over! In fact this year my students wrote and published a book through a publishing company called “And Then it Happened” Adventures with Bamboo our adopted PLUSH Panda. As you can see I’m immensely disappointed to read this news. Each year our plush pets became a true member of our classroom who would go everywhere with us. We would even blog about our activities and include our pet in our photos. I truly hope you will reconsider this decision, or at least bring back your reinvented plush pets as soon as possible.

• creek4kids says:

You’ll still be able to find relatively inexpensive, brand new Webkinz plushes on websites like Amazon or eBay!

• nanamama12 says:

Yes, tmuller! Please keep up with this project! There are many plush with code still available on Amazon! Also keep an I out a yard sales, Salvation Army/Goodwill stores. Also keep an eye out at local flower shops. There is one in town that still has a small variety of them to go with gift bouquets and baskets.

6. Shubbe says:

I paid for estore coins for my daughter so she could adopt a pet my paypal account shows i was charged but i still have not received any credit in the game. Why, do i need to cancel the payment?

• Sally Webkinz says:

Please contact ganzestorecs@ganz.com for assistance. If you’re buying through the mobile app (which I assume you are, since Ganz eStore doesn’t take Paypal), it may be that the App Store or Play Store has not transmitted the payment to Ganz eStore yet — you may want to get in touch with them, as well.